The hamlet of Javel was where bleach was invented which
explains the French name of eau de Javel.
In 1915, André Citroën started building automobiles
in a factory in the town. In the 1970's, the manufacturing was
moved outside of Paris and the 50 acre site became the Parc André Citroen.
Part of the park runs perpendicular to the
Seine River in a similar fashion to the Champs de Mars
and the Trocadéro gardens. Included in the park is a
stone square with glasshouses and an orangery. There is a white
garden (Jardin Blanc), dark garden (Jardin Noir)
with a labyrinth, a Mediterranean garden and several others.