oldest remaining part of Hever Castle dates back to 1270 and
in the 1500's it was the childhood home of one of Henry VII's
wives, Anne Boleyn. In 1983, the castle was purchased by
Broadland Properties Ltd. and was opened to the public.
The gardens were laid out in the early 1900's when it was
owned by William Waldorf Astor. He loved Italian garden and
transformed the grounds into this style with the help of
hundreds of hired workers. His collection of Italian
sculptures is on display in the gardens.
There are many water features including the moat around the
castle, Half Moon Pond (hand dug by over 1,000 workers),
Cascade Rockery, Two Sisters Pond and others. A Tudor Chess
Set of topiary is near the Yew Maze.