Garden is a National Trust property in the Weald of Kent, near
Cranbrook, Goudhurst and Tenterden. The property was in a
state of decline until it was purchased by
Harold Nicolson in 1930. They designed and created the
beautiful gardens which remain close to the original design
In 1938, the gardens were
opened to the public for a small entrance fee. Walls and
hedges separate the different "garden rooms" around the
property. There is a fantastic overview from the tower where
Sackville-West had her library.
The gardens were donated to the
National Trust in 1967 after the death of Harold Nicolson.