Ellen Warren nee Scripps
(1863-1948) and George Booth (1864-1949) purchased what was
then a run down 174 acre farm in 1904. The Booth family
originated in the English town of Cranbrook and that was
namesake of the property in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, a
suburb of Detroit.
Starting in 1922, the Booths
began to create several institutions on the grounds
including Brookside School for Children, Christ Church
Cranbrook, Cranbrook School for Boys, Cranbrook Academy of
Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science and Kingswood School for
Girls. In 1944, the property was transferred to the
The gardens consist of about
40 acres surrounding Cranbrook House. There is a sunken
garden, bog area, sculptures, fountains along with specimen
sized trees and shrubs.