Edwin Percy Gamble, one of
the founders of Procter & Gamble built the house on this
site in 1902. His daughter, Elizabeth, lived at the house
until her death in 1981 when the property was willed to the
City of Palo Alto.
The garden today is operated
by a non-profit community group and volunteers maintain it.
There are two major parts to the garden; the restored formal
gardens around the house and a working garden on the side.
Areas within the garden
include the shrub border, cherry aliée, rose garden,
carriage house and patio, wisteria garden, woodland area,
shade and sun garden, Mediterranean garden, ornamental beds,
cutting border and perennial borders.