This 83 acre garden was opened
in 1938. It is named for David Fairchild (1869-1954) who was
a plant explorer for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He
visited every continent except Antarctica in search of plant
that could be of use in America. Included in the group of
plants he brought to North America are mangos, alfalfa,
nectarines, dates, bamboo and the flowering cherry trees
famous in Washington D.C.