Oliver and Isabel Stine
purchased the property in 1915 to establish a mountain side
retreat. Mrs. Stine spent a year visiting gardens in Japan
before returning home to begin developing this garden. She
hired two well known Japanese landscape designers to make
the plans for the property.
The garden changed owners in
1932 and eventually was inherited by Mrs. Walter Gregory.
She died in 1959 and the gardens were left unattended for a
few years. A group of people bought the property in 1961 to
use as a private retreat. They sold it to the City of
Saratoga in 1966 with major restoration and new construction
There are currently several
areas including a Hill and Pond Style Garden, Tea Garden,
Zen Garden and a bamboo garden.