In 1559, Catherine de Médicis, had the palace of
Tuileries built at the edge of a large Italian garden. In 1660,
André Le Nôtre transformed the 50 acre gardens into their
current layout. It lies between the Carrousel du Louvre and the
Place de la Concorde and is bounded on the north by the Rue de Rivoli and the Seine on the south. The Orangery and the Musée du
Jeu de Paume are featured.
Trees were planted in this garden
throughout the 19th century. In December, 1999 the strongest
storms on record swept through Northern France. Several of the
oldest trees were felled.