East Sussex gardens were developed by garden author and
Christopher Lloyd. They are a beautiful
cottage gardening on a larger
scale than is normally seen.
There are a series of small
gardens including a topiary
garden, rose garden, kitchen garden and a pond area.
The manor house was constructed
as early as 1220. In 1910, the English architect,
Edwin Lutyens restored Great Dixter and also designed the original
gardens. The house, which was the home of Mr. Lloyd until his
open to the public for a small additional entrance fee. A small nursery and gift shop is behind the house.
Plants named in honor of
Great Dixter include
Euphorbia griffithii 'Dixter',
Crocosmia masonioum 'Dixter Flame', and
lactiflora 'Dixter Presence'