Newby Hall was built between
1691-1695 and shortly afterwards the owner, Sir Edward
Blackett, commissioned Peter Aram as head gardener to lay
out formal gardens and avenues in keeping with the period.
The gardens were redone in
the 1920's with an eye toward the design of
Johnston at Hidcote Manor.
Leading from the house toward the River Ure is an axis with
double herbaceous borders on each side. Currently, the
gardens cover over 40 acres. The gardens also hold the
National Collection of