In 1932, Eric
Savill started the gardens under the auspices of King George V and
Queen Mary. The 40 acre plot is located within the estate of
Windsor Great Park and was originally known as the Bog Garden.
In 1951, King George VI renamed it in honor of its developer.
The gardens include herbaceous borders, rose gardens, peat beds
and a large bog garden. There is a Jubilee Garden and a bridge
over the lower pond. A temperate house was opened by the Queen in
1995 and named in honor of the Queen Mother.