Built in 1926 for Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kelley King, the 47-acre estate opened as a public garden in 1953. The grounds were designed by the Cleveland landscape architecture firm of Pitkin and Mott also in 1926. The King home was designed by prominent Cleveland architect Clarence Mack, who made a career of building fashionable homes in Lakewood and Shaker Heights, Ohio and in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Today the King home is used, as Mr. King directed, to house a horticultural library and the administrative offices of Kingwood Center.

Kingwood Center
900 Park Avenue West
Mansfield, OH 44906

This wonderful estate makes a nice day visit. The old house and outbuildings blend beautifully with the combination of old and new gardens.

Although we don't like to do unpaid commercials, this is a great facility to visit in combination with a stop at one of our all-time favorite nurseries which is only about 15 miles away.

Wade and Gatton Nursery is located between Bellville and Butler Ohio, just off Route 97 at:1288 Gatton Rocks Road. Bellville, Ohio 44813. (419) 883-3191 Even if you don't buy anything (sure....) the display gardens are just magnificent!

Copyright 2000 -