In an article in
Hosta Journal (2001 Vol. 32 No. 1),
former President of The American Hosta Society took on the task of listing the
"Classic Hosta Cultivars" through the year 2003. He decided to divide these into
categories including: Green,
and Yellow Medio-Variegated.
|After all this is what hostas are best
known for. Can any other species in the plant kingdom boast as many
- H. 'Fragrant Bouquet' almost has it all: brightly colored
leaves, nice variegation, sun tolerance and fragrant flowers. AHGA
Hosta of the Year for 1998.
- H. 'Francee' has dark-green leaves that are nicely set off
by the pure white margins.
- H. 'Frosted Jade' has large, jade-green leaves that are
distinctively surrounded by a clear white margin.
- H. 'Ginko Craig' has many look-alikes, but is the one most
- H. 'Little Wonder' is a small compact mound of variegated
leaves, with purple flowers hovering high above the foliage.
- H. 'Mildred Seaver' is a large hosta that has nice white
- H. Minuteman' and its cousin
H. 'Patriot' are the most
well-known selections of the wide white-margined sports of H. 'Francee'.
- H. 'Moonlight' is one of the few white-margined, gold-leaved
hostas, and this sport of H. 'Gold Standard' is one of the
- H. 'Mountain Snow' is a distinctive plant with large,
pointed leaves and irregular white margins.
- H. 'Neat Splash Rim' and
H. 'Yellow Splash Rim' are
difficult to tell apart, but these stable margined sports of
unstable streaked hostas are vigorous growing plants topped by
nice purple flowers.
- H. 'Northern Exposure' and
H. 'Northern Halo', if the
correct variety, are exquisite white-margined sports of H. sieboldiana 'Elegans' .
- H. 'Pizzazz' has puckered, dusty gray-green leaves with
irregular white margins.
- H. 'Platinum Tiara' is the gold-leaved, white-margined sport
of H. 'Golden Tiara'.
- H. 'Queen Josephine' has shiny, dark-green leaves with wide
creamy-white margins. It is topped by large clusters of lavender
flowers in late summer.
- H. 'Regal Splendor' -- who can refute this white margined
beauty for distinction and splendor!
- H. 'Sagae' at maturity this AHGS
Hosta of the Year for 2000
is probably one of the most beautiful hostas in the garden.
Formerly known as H. fluctuans 'Variegated'.
- H. 'Sea Dream' is a nice gold-leaved hosta with thin white
- H. 'Shade Fanfare' has the creamy-white margins which
surround a light-green leaf center on this colorful plant.
- H. 'So Sweet' -- oh yes, how sweet it is! First AHGA Hosts
of the Year (1996).
- H. 'Stiletto' is a vigorous growing plant that knives
through the garden with its pointed, wavy margined leaves.
- H. 'Sugar and Cream' is a sun-tolerant sport of
and has the same wavy leaves, only with creamy-white margins.
- H. 'Torchlight' has upright held white-margined leaves with
- H. 'Undulata
Albomarginata', is probably the one plant that
- H. ventricosa 'Aureomarginata', as the name implies, is
yellow-margined but the leaves have a creamy-white margin
throughout most of the season. If this plant had a fancy name it
would be more popular. Nonetheless it is a beautiful
- H. 'Wide Brim' -- what garden hasn't at one time grown this
old time favorite?
This is quite an extensive list of
distinctive cultivars. Many have been popular either with gardeners,
landscapers and collectors for over 25 years...Their timeless beauty
is why they are still kicking after all these years.